Nook Look

Monday, May 26, 2008

what are we teaching our children


There is a very sweet blogger who I really enjoy reading. She has a blog called "The Guilty Parent" and there are several posts that may not pertain to me today but will in the future. There are some that I associate with now because parenting doesn't get easier it just changes, and some of these posts are ageless conversations about how we as parents no matter how old our children become, face day to day challenges that may or may not end in the correct result.

This one particular post is about how she went with her child's class to Washington DC. While they were at Arlington Cemetery a funeral was underway for a fallen soldier. One of our United States Soldiers who lost his/her life protecting our freedom. Do you know what some of those parents and children were doing? They were talking, taking pictures even videotaping this moment that should be a silent, revered moment. A moment that this family will remember as filled with grief and sadness for them and entertainment for a group of school children and their parents.

I told her that all though I find it appalling I do not find it surprising. I cannot tell you how many rude parents I see every day.Parents who are too lazy to teach their children respect and honor or even compassion. What the hell is wrong with people!?!? I was raised to respect those around me, my elders my peers and those younger than me who needed a good example from me. I learned that the world does not revolve around me. What I wanted, when I wanted didn't matter as much as how it fit into the family schedule, or if I had earned the right to do or get that certain thing. I don't know why parents aren't teaching their children these things but I know for sure that I am sick of the entitlement issues that my generation its teaching to the next generation.

Today is Memorial Day. Its a day to hold in esteem those soldiers who fought for our freedoms. Because Freedom does come with a price that most of us won't have to pay. A Price that our soldiers face every day. Thank you for sacrificing your homes, your families, your friends your time and even your lives to keep us free. God bless you all. For those who have fallen you will never be forgotten, you will live in our hearts as the soldiers who gave your life to keep terrorism off our soil.

1 comment:

Anonyme said...

I am glad you liked my post - I'm sorry I actually witnessed stupidity on this level but just the same, I am glad I am not the only one who has issue with this. I only hope and pray none of their children ever have to serve and pay the ultimate price for our freedoms.