Nook Look

Sunday, October 05, 2008

Strength and Graditude

It may be October which is Breast Cancer Awareness Month but today I ran in the Sacramento Cowtown Half Marathon to raise awareness and funds for the Leukemia/Lymphoma Society. As Breast Cancer's influence on my life is so prominent I wanted to do something beyond my walks for someone who meant so much to me. My Uncle James passed away from Leukemia 2 years ago. My Aunt Sandy has not just supported my Breast Cancer Walks financially but also emotionally as her way to find a care for all cancers. For the last few months she's been by her friend Vicki's side while Vicki has gone through treatment for lung cancer. Last week we got the news, for now... hopefully forever... Vicki is cancer free.I feel like I'm talking in circles. I hate that cancer is waiting around every corner, lurking and waiting to take over our lives.

What I wanted to say was I may speak loudly and proficiently about the Breast Cancer walks but today was about doing something special in memory of my Uncle James, in his Memory, in his Honor.


Today I felt him with me. I even took him with me, my little Jiminy Cricket on my shirt, giving me strength, giving me confidence and letting me push myself to a new level. Mostly I just love and miss him and today, for him I ran... for 13.1 miles in under 2 hours. Faster than I ever imagined because there were wings carrying or an umbrella carrying me through this race. Thank you Uncle James for loving me. Today for you I put it all on the line.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you and I know your uncle James is very proud of you too. Good Job Teeny!!!
Love, Kelli